My photo
Welcome -- I hope you find my thoughts and opinions regarding politics, Christianity, family and just everyday "stuff" interesting. Please read and be sure to visit again.


Friday, May 9, 2008

Black Republicans

Here is an oxymoron for you -- I am a Black Republican. I read that only about 13% of Black voters are Republican so I suppose that makes me a double minority.

I am proud of my Black heritage and I am proud to be a conservative Republican. Why “Black America” fails to understand or accept that these two realities are capable of coexisting is something I do not understand.

Contrary to popular belief, all Black people do not fit comfortably into the Democratic Party. Some of us have opted for a different affiliation. This does not make us less Black.

Being a Republican does not mean that I do not care about “my people”. As far as race and the “plight of Black folks” are concerned, hmmm, well let me just say this – it’s time to stop waiting on that 40 acres and a mule. I just don’t think either party is going to do much for Black people. And quite frankly, I think that we have a whole lot that we need to do for ourselves before we start looking toward politicians for help. With that said, I’ve decided to remove racial issues from my political decision making process.

Without race as an issue, what are some of the things that really matter to me? Preservation of the principles on which this country was founded (yes, I am serious), protecting the traditional family, individual responsibility and less government are a few of my issues.

I believe that the Bible was divinely inspired and that every single word in it is true. The Democratic Party (as a whole) is making a mad (and frightening) dash away from all that is Biblical. The Republican Party is not perfect and I disagree with some their issues but I believe that most of the issues (and Biblical truths) that I hold dear are in better hands with Republicans.

I’m completely perplexed as to why so many Black folks have remained loyal to the Democratic Party. Historically we have always been conservative people. I would like to pose the challenge question – what have Democrats done for “us” lately?

Some consider my switch to the Republican Party the equivalent of treason. Some call me a rebel. Some say I should be required to turn in my “Black Card.” Some say it makes me a bourgeois b _ _ _ _ .

I will admit that it saddens me that instead of Black Democrats accepting Black Republicans they tend to characterize them as sell-outs or out of touch with the "community". Their negative feelings toward Black Republicans are so strong that I cannot even casually talk politics with members of my family or certain friends. They think I'm crazy.

For the record, I have not lost my mind. I made a conscious decision to register as a Republican. Other people probably have deeper, more interesting and profound reasons for their political affiliation. My reasons are a reflection of who I am and the way that I think.

I just love America!

1 comment:

Conservative Black Woman said...

Wow Kee!!!! I thought I was the only Christian Black Republican out here in cyberspace. We are a rare breed!!! You commented on my blog over a month ago but I'm just reading comments. Take care...