My photo
Welcome -- I hope you find my thoughts and opinions regarding politics, Christianity, family and just everyday "stuff" interesting. Please read and be sure to visit again.


Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mama

Mama was my grandmother. I remain convinced that she was the greatest grandmother the world has ever known. How fortunate I was to have had her as my own. Mama poured into my two sisters, two cousins and me in infinite ways.

Mama was always quoting Scripture but she was so wise in so many ways, that we didn’t realize until many years later that they were Bible verses and not just sage Mama-isms.

Mama was definitely a Proverbs 31 woman. She made sure that we always behaved in a prim and proper way, that we were exceptionally polite, that we memorized Bible verses, that we went to Sunday School each and every Sunday (and when she sent us off to Sunday School she made sure we put a quarter in our shoe for offering), that we learned to sew (by hand), and she made sure we were always dressed appropriately and modestly.

More than any of that, she made certain that we knew that we were loved. She signed all of our cards (and she gave them for every occasion -- birthday, Easter, Christmas, Valentine’s Day) “love always, your devoted grandmother.” She was indeed devoted to her grandchildren.

Aside from Scriptures, Mama had a phrase or quote for every occasion and every circumstance.

“It’s a poor dog who won’t wag his own tail” meant that it was ok to brag on yourself a little.

“Every shut eye ain’t sleep and every goodbye ain’t gone.” meant don’t think you can get away with something just because you don’t see somebody else around looking at you or because you think people are gone – they can come right back.

“Hit dog holler” meant you said something to someone and it hit a nerve.

It was important to Mama that she instilled in us a very strong sense of right and wrong. Without hesitation she would quickly correct us if we were wrong and she would make sure that we went back and “made it right”. Because of her acute desire to always do what was right, everybody loved the woman affectionately known to everyone else as “Mama Clark”.

Today I find that I use Mama’s scale to measure right and wrong. I find myself repeating her sayings. One thing that I say to my children all of the time is “you are supposed to do right even if no one else does.” That wasn’t one of Mama’s sayings but it is a direct result of her influence in my life.

As much as I loved and miss my mother, this Mother’s Day my mind goes back to the memories of Mama. She was a perfect example of a Godly woman and I can only hope and pray that I have been successful in imparting at least a little bit of Mama to my children.

No comments: