My photo
Welcome -- I hope you find my thoughts and opinions regarding politics, Christianity, family and just everyday "stuff" interesting. Please read and be sure to visit again.


Thursday, May 15, 2008

"Hold On One Second Sweetie”

Apparently while on the campaign trail in Detroit yesterday, Barack Obama responded to a questioning reporter by saying, “Hold on one second, sweetie”. Oh no -- his bid for the Democratic nomination is over! According to some journalists, this may have been Obama’s “macaca moment.”

Are we really serious here? He apologized for this slip of the tongue and I’m sure it was just that. Can it really be compared to George Allen’s 2006 slip? I think reporters are so eager to uncover dirty laundry, discover a character flaw or otherwise report a bit of campaign-changing news that they are grasping at straws.

I’m not an Obama fan but the comparison is really ridiculous. With all that is going on in the world why do we even care about this? How about we just focus on the candidates’ positions on key issues?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can picture it now...

To Queen Elizabeth II: "Nice tiara, Sweetie"

To Margaret Thatcher: "Yeah, Sweetie, you were a great Prime Minister"

To Nancy Pelosi: "Hey you're rockin' that Speaker of the House position, Sweetie"

not very "Presidential"

Unknown said...

"Hold on one second sweetie." Good grief, why is that so offensive?

Years ago I worked for a company that hired a new VP. In reference to the women that worked there he used the term "Lovely ladies". Some of the women (mostly young) were highly insulted and demanded an apology. They got their apology but it never made sense to me why they were so offended. FYI, I'm not an Obama fan but I saw nothing wrong with his comment.