My photo
Welcome -- I hope you find my thoughts and opinions regarding politics, Christianity, family and just everyday "stuff" interesting. Please read and be sure to visit again.


Monday, May 19, 2008

California Leads The Way -- But Where Are We Going?

Last week California’s Supreme Court overturned the state’s ban on gay marriage. I can’t say that I am surprised. California is one of the most liberal states in the union with the highest percentage of gays. This “blue state” is getting “bluer” by the minute.

Of course homosexuality is not new. Homosexuality led to God’s destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.

But the fact that it has been around forever does not make it less sinful. I believe the difference between homosexuality and other sins is that we are at a point in history where we are trying to pretty up the sin. It is simply an “alternate lifestyle”. People are “born that way and there’s basically nothing that they can do about it”.

This rationale is completely contradictory to Scripture. God would not call something a sin and then inflict that sin on people. I believe that certain people may be more inclined to be gay than others -- just as certain people may be more inclined to lie or to steal than others. The question is – how do you react to that inclination? Do you give in to it or do you fight it?

Then there are those who just think being gay is cool. I’ve heard college students say, “sure, I’d try it.” As if they were being offered a drink or something. It’s a way of demonstrating “open-mindedness”. That’s where we are today. We’ve got to be open-minded and tolerant. If not, we are homophobic.

I’m not afraid of homosexuals – as the phobic part of the word homophobic would imply. I simply do not approve of the lifestyle. For me that does not mean that gays should be discriminated against. But by the same token, I do not believe that they should receive any special rights either.

Do gay people have the right to be gay? Sure. Should these gay people be allowed to get married or enter into some kind of civil union? Not as far as I’m concerned.

Webster’s first definition of marriage is “the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law”. God’s definition is similar – “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.” Marriage is between one man and one woman.

In light of the Supreme Court decision – gay marriage is sure to be a key issue in the presidential election. California, you never disappoint.

No comments: