My photo
Welcome -- I hope you find my thoughts and opinions regarding politics, Christianity, family and just everyday "stuff" interesting. Please read and be sure to visit again.


Friday, May 23, 2008

Agreeing to Disagree

What does it truly mean to agree to disagree? Whether Republicans vs. Democrats or Christians vs. Non-Christians or Pro-lifers vs. Pro-choicers or those for gay rights vs. those against – when it comes to talking about the issue, the issue itself is often overshadowed by an angry tone of voice and over-the-top emotion. Being passionate about a position is one thing but being angry about it is quite another.

The anger factor was illuminated for me as I was listening to the radio yesterday. When I got in the car, it was tuned to a station that was discussing the presidential race from a Democratic perspective. I listened for a while but got so fed up with them Republican-bashing and basically calling Black Republicans stupid, that I changed the station.

I tuned in to a Republican talk-radio station. They were discussing the Michigan/Florida delegate situation. As soon as I thought I’d found a station that would be kinder and gentler to my ears – they started bashing Democrats. And the anger and rudeness to callers just got to me. I plugged in my IPOD instead.

Now I know that when there is a contest of any kind, the candidates sometimes do what they have to do to win. That often leads to fighting dirty. I get that. So, to a degree, I can tolerate Repubicans and Democrats going after each other. After all, it is the White House that is at stake.

However, what I don’t get is the anger that is conveyed along with the message. As a Republican, there is nothing that an angry Democrat could ever say to me that would sway me. I won’t listen to their viewpoint. I won’t consider their position. I will tune the message out along with the anger. That is not because of a lack of a valid message but because of the delivery. I’m sure Democrats feel the same, they probably see Republicans as a bunch of self-righteous folks who don’t know how to agree to disagree.

It seems to me that if either side wants to be heard or even have a remote chance of swaying voters of the opposing party – they’d tone the anger down a bit. What’s up with that anyway? If we disagree, we disagree. Don’t get mad about it.

No comments: