My photo
Welcome -- I hope you find my thoughts and opinions regarding politics, Christianity, family and just everyday "stuff" interesting. Please read and be sure to visit again.


Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day, so this morning I started thinking about the origin of Memorial Day. (I really do love the Internet!) The US started celebrating Memorial Day shortly after the Civil War to remember those who died in the war, as well as those who survived. A few years later, it was expanded to include not only veterans of all wars (casualties and survivors) but it was to also be a time to remember deceased loved ones.

So, today I decided that I will celebrate Memorial Day in two ways. The first is that I want to remember loved ones who impacted my life in positive ways. These are people that I continue to miss terribly and of whom I have very fond memories. They are:
1. My mother – committed suicide in February 1998.
2. My grandmother – died of Alzheimer’s disease in January 1997.
3. My step-father (who was the only father I ever knew) – died of cancer in June 1996.
4. My dear friend Viv – died of cancer in May 2002.

Secondly, as I think about the word “memorial” it takes me to the word “remember”. And whenever I think of “remembering” something the thing that stands out in my mind is the number of times that God admonishes us to “remember” in the Bible. I pulled out my concordance and counted the word “remember” 148 times. Clearly God really wanted to drill the point home that we must never forget what He has done and what He continues to do for us. He had to tell that to the Children of Israel dozens of time.

With that said, also today, in spite of anything and everything else going on in my life – I will remember all that God has done for me. Memorial Day 2008 has me in praise mode. Thank you Lord – I will remember!

No comments: