My photo
Welcome -- I hope you find my thoughts and opinions regarding politics, Christianity, family and just everyday "stuff" interesting. Please read and be sure to visit again.


Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Obama Dawns. . .

The May 26, 2008 issue of Jet Magazine has an article entitled “Obama Dawns as Democrats’ Hope to Win White House”. Two statements in the article bothered me.

The first statement was “Some within Obama’s camp are especially troubled that many of the Black superdelegates, particularly the African-American members of Congress who make up the Congressional Black Caucus, have been slow to support Obama. In some cases, Black representatives are continuing to actively campaign for Clinton even though Obama handily won their districts.”

OK, I really want to make sure I have this right. Obama’s camp is upset that all of the Black folks are not “getting with the program.” Some have the nerve to continue to campaign for Clinton? (Shame on them!) Because Obama has said it’s over for Clinton, all of her supporters should immediately flock to him? Correction – all of her Black supporters should immediately flock to him? Unbelievable.

The second statement was a quote from Representative David Scott of Georgia, who said, “For the first time, we have a chance to elect a Black person as the next President of the United States. Now’s not the time for us to be divided.”

So, race alone should unite? Can you define “us” for me? For the sake of electing the first Black president – there should not be any division. We don’t care if he is the best person for the job or not. We only care that we have a chance to make history.

I fear that we may never get to a place where every darn thing for Black folks doesn’t boil down to race. Jet’s article reinforced my beliefs that a) the majority of Black folks are voting for Obama simply because he is Black and truly do not care about where he stands on issues or even who he is as a person, and b) most Black folks believe that all Black folks are obligated to vote for Obama.

No thank you. I’m opting out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Obama Drama...Black folk have been waiting a very long time for this day to come. Months ago when The Obama Drama started my personal belief was that all the hoopla wouldn't last very long and would fade away. Low and behold months later he has restored life to the democratic party. He has put together a coalition of voters that not only give of their time but their money also. I often ask myself the same questions over and over, can he win, is America ready. I doubt it, but for now I will savior the moment. Mr Obama is my choice not because he is black, just the best candidate who happens to be black. I would also bet that that's how most black folk see it too. Oh yea I almost forgot....HAPPY BIRTHDAY....Always remember like fine wine, it only get better with time....

Kee said...

Thank you!