My photo
Welcome -- I hope you find my thoughts and opinions regarding politics, Christianity, family and just everyday "stuff" interesting. Please read and be sure to visit again.


Thursday, May 29, 2008

Matthew 11:28

For most of her young life, my 16 year old daughter has had frequent nightmares. When she was younger she would wake me whenever she had a nightmare. I would go into her room and sing praise songs with her until she calmed down enough to fall asleep.

I just knew that even though I cannot sing at all, (not even a little bit – I know my limitations) singing praise to God would make satan flee. Of course it could be that he fled because he couldn’t stand my singing. Either way – my singing provided peace for my child. I bought her a ring that said, “Fear Not” at that time too. It was to remind her not to be fearful of anything because God was always with her.

I used to have nightmares fairly often myself but I could always link them to either something that happened during the day or some movie that I had no business watching. I can remember that the movie Jagged Edge (1985 -- Glen Close and Jeff Bridges) was one such movie. If you’ve seen the movie, you know that means it doesn’t take much for me to have nightmares.

Several months ago I noticed that I was having nightmares much more frequently. Some weeks I’d have three or four. It was driving me crazy. I’d wake with a racing heart, a headache and a very tired body.

Last week after having a nightmare several nights in a row I mentioned it to my daughter. I told her that I was getting to the point where I was dreading sleep because the nightmares were always so vivid and lasting.

My daughter told me that a few months prior she had successive nightmares and was so frightened that after having one at about 3AM one morning she got up, went downstairs to get her Bible and took it back to her room with her. She said she read a little, prayed and then put the Bible on her nightstand. She said she purposely put it on her nightstand believing that having the Word close would make a difference. She said she wanted her weapon near. According to my daughter, that was her last nightmare.

She reminded me of what should have been obvious -- I should have talked to God about my nightmares. I think I often feel that some of my issues are too small and that I would be bothering God. It’s really amazing how long it sometimes takes to remember to take all of our burdens, all of our cares and even our nightmares to God.

Scripture says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest.”

Thank you Lord for the rest!!

No comments: