My photo
Welcome -- I hope you find my thoughts and opinions regarding politics, Christianity, family and just everyday "stuff" interesting. Please read and be sure to visit again.


Thursday, May 22, 2008

Golf Addiction

I used to think that golf was the most boring sport on earth. In fact, I didn’t even think of it as a sport. When I thought of golf, I thought of a bunch of pudgy old men smoking cigars and lazily driving from hole to hole trying to find a little white (impossible to find) ball. It’s amazing how things have changed.

Two years ago I decided to take a golf class through a local university with my daughter. While the instructor was horrible and truly did not care if we learned the game or not – something made me want to pursue it further.


After wasting my money on the golf class I searched the Internet for a local golf league. I found a women’s league in the area and my daughter and I promptly joined it. Through the league we participated in a couple clinics and had the opportunity to play golf twice per month. Between league “play dates” I played with friends, my daughter and my son. I also took a few more lessons. I was hooked.

Now I watch the golf channel, closely follow Tiger, subscribe to golf magazines and frequent golf shops. I can’t seem to get enough of golf.

There is so much more to golf than I ever thought. Aside from the thrill of hitting a good shot or parring a hole (which I don’t do very often), being on a nice course has a calming effect.

When not playing with the league, I generally play with men. That is not by design, I just don't know any women that play. Playing with men adds an interesting dynamic to the game. Men typically instantly go into instructor mode and want to give tips on everything from how high to tee the ball to what color the tee should be.

Then there are the men who want to show off -- as if their manhood is somehow linked to the length of their drive. And finally there are the men who don’t play very well and will cheat before ever allowing a mere woman to beat them. Yes, playing with men is most enjoyable. :-)

On the other hand, playing with women is something entirely different. Women don’t really seem to care how other women play. Women want to make sure that they have the cutest golf gear. I will admit, that I too am guilty of getting caught up in this golf gear competition.

Golf itself is an exciting, addictive, challenging, rewarding, therapeutic game but there is something to be said for that feeling of knowing that you are on a beautiful course, with good clubs, a cute bag and stylish golf attire. That probably sounds really shallow but it really does add to the experience.

So while I have never been athletic in the least, golf is the one sport that I know I’ll be playing for some time to come. Oh, and about those cigars – my how I love the smell of them. The pudgy old men? Not so much.

No comments: