My photo
Welcome -- I hope you find my thoughts and opinions regarding politics, Christianity, family and just everyday "stuff" interesting. Please read and be sure to visit again.


Monday, May 5, 2008

Mother's Day Corsages


Having lost two of the most important women in my life (my mother and grandmother) in the late 1990’s, Mother’s Day is one of those “holidays” I wish I could fast forward through.



As a child, I remember going to church and getting a red carnation corsage on Mother’s Day. A red corsage meant that your mother was living and a white one meant that your mother was deceased. Apparently you were to receive a yellow corsage if you had lost a child but my church never went that far.


Because my mother was living at the time, I never gave my red corsage much thought. However, many years later, on the first Mother’s Day after my mother’s suicide, I went to church and was given a white carnation. I burst into tears on the spot. How sad and embarrassing to be “singled out” that way.


I immediately went back to my first memories of the red vs. white corsages and felt sadness for all the prior recipients of white corsages.


So, now I think I’d just rather not wear a corsage at all. Or, maybe this year I’ll wear an orange one. After all, orange is my favorite color. I just don’t want that white corsage distinction. I don’t want people to wonder what happened to my mother. I don’t want the people with red corsages to feel guilty looking at my white one.


Who in the world came up with that tradition anyway? B and L – are you “listening”? Mom wants orange.

No comments: