My photo
Welcome -- I hope you find my thoughts and opinions regarding politics, Christianity, family and just everyday "stuff" interesting. Please read and be sure to visit again.


Friday, August 29, 2008

DNC Final Day -- Barack Obama




Last night featured Barack Obama – the Democratic nominee himself. After his speech Michelle, their two little girls and Barack Obama all held hands and walked out to the front of the stage. With music blaring and streamers flying they smiled and waved to the crowd. As a Black American, it was a very proud moment for me. This beautiful Black family was presented to the world. That presentation was not a Democratic or Republican moment. It was an American moment. It was a moment to be especially relished by Black America. It was a moment that clearly signifies that while we as a people still have a long way to go to achieve true equality – we have also come a very long way. It is enormously profound.

The dichotomy between being proud of the accomplishments of this Black man and voting for someone else is what I kept thinking about last night. I don’t agree but I do understand how so many Black people are caught up in the emotion and historic significance of it all.

I tried very hard last night to focus on the words in Barack Obama’s speech. It is almost natural to hear to a speech but not really listen to what is being said – so I really concentrated. Aside from the expected McCain bashing, I heard several contradictions and vague promises. From a personal standpoint, his beliefs and values remain at odds with mine. Like the other speeches of the week, Obama’s failed to move me.

Alright GOP, your turn. You'd better come with it. . .



No comments: