My photo
Welcome -- I hope you find my thoughts and opinions regarding politics, Christianity, family and just everyday "stuff" interesting. Please read and be sure to visit again.


Friday, June 6, 2008

Don’t Let the Smooth Taste Fool You

The Internet is all abuzz with excitement over the Barack Obama nomination. Black radio is calling this a victory for “us” and proof that we have finally “arrived”. I’ve received tons of celebratory emails from friends and family over the past couple days. I suppose I should be happy about this history making event. Hmmm,ok.

Forgive my negativism (and my stretch of an analogy) but I have the same feeling about this that I had when OJ Simpson was found not-guilty of murdering Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman. I’m not at all calling Obama a murderer but it’s that whole idea of retribution. Black folks believed Simpson was guilty but it was sweet revenge for all the wrongs that we as a people had suffered at the hands of White folks. He was guilty. We felt in our hearts that he was guilty -- but we were happy that he was found not-guilty. An eye for an eye. White folks owed us that one.

Now, so what if Obama is least qualified to be our next president? Does anyone even know who he is -- or do we even care? It’s the Black man’s turn. It’s about “justice” and finally being able to do what White folks have been doing forever. It's history. It's time. I get it – but I don’t get it.

Maybe everyone else knows something that’s been kept secret from me but I have not heard anything even remotely impressive about Obama’s experience or qualifications nor have I heard what “change” really means. He is indeed charismatic but when the rubber meets the road that means very little.

"Don’t let the smooth taste fool you". Come on people -- we’re talking about the most important job in the land.

No comments: