My photo
Welcome -- I hope you find my thoughts and opinions regarding politics, Christianity, family and just everyday "stuff" interesting. Please read and be sure to visit again.


Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The BET Awards


I watched the BET Awards with my daughter last night. It contained the predictable mix.

1. Sagging pants rap performances – I just wanted to reach into the television and pull those pants up. That urge was especially strong when Nelly performed. I actually like him (in general) but his pants just drove me crazy.
2. Comedy -- D.L. Hughley was the host and I have to say – he was not very funny but hosting an awards show has to be a difficult job.
3. Dancers – Chris Brown and Ciara were really good but there was a really awkward ending to their dance routine. I couldn’t figure it out and I sensed that they couldn’t either because they just walked off the stage without punctuation.
4. Arrogance – Kanye West. Need I say more?
5. Awards to music legends -- This year those awards went to Quincy Jones and Al Green – neither of whom seemed prepared with a speech. It was kind of sad listening to them ramble.
6. Gratuitous Political Pitches – "Vote for Obama" was repeated ad nauseam.

In spite of it all, for the most part the show was entertaining.

Of course a Black awards show would be incomplete without a Gospel performance. Marvin Sapp was the performer of the hour (actually the show was 3 hours). He sang his song “Never Would Have Made It”.

While I was watching the show, I was also working on my laptop. So, while Marvin Sapp was singing I had my head down and away from the television. All of a sudden I heard my daughter say, “Are you serious? For real? You’ve got to be kidding me. What? Subliminal messages now?”

I looked up and while Marvin Sapp was singing, a large photo of Barack and Michelle Obama was projected behind him. The words to his song are about only having “made it” because of Christ (I always assumed he was speaking of Christ anyway). So was the message that we never could have made it without Barack Obama? Or was the message that Barack Obama never could have made it without Christ? Or was the message that “we” have a chance to “make it” because of Barack Obama? Or was it simply vote for Obama?

What could have been a meaningful time of praise and worship to Christ was turned into a political message. I was confused and offended.

So now you may wonder how or why I found the show entertaining with everything else I’ve said about it. Hmmm, good question.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol I couldnt agree more with everything you wrote lol. I was also confused with a few moments of the show. I wondered "now do these people who are encourouging votes for Obama really know what he is about and believe in him and his plans for the united states or is it just the fact that he is African American and so are we so we should vote for him?" Lol