My photo
Welcome -- I hope you find my thoughts and opinions regarding politics, Christianity, family and just everyday "stuff" interesting. Please read and be sure to visit again.


Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Representin’ for the Tall Women

The average American woman is approximately 5 feet 4 inches. I am 5 feet 8 inches and have always hated my height. Growing up, it was bad enough that I was taller than most of the other girls in school but being taller than many of the boys too made me feel as if all eyes were upon me. I’ve always been introverted, shy and “background prone” so towering over other folks made it difficult for me to do my invisible act.

My second husband was only 5’ 10” (at the most) and looking at him I would have told anyone he was about 5’7”. (Men tend to lie about their height by a minimum of 2 inches.) I invited him over to my house to watch movies as our first date and met him at the door in my socks so I wouldn’t feel taller than him. Even when we went to church together the first few times, I wore the flattest flat shoes I could find. The heels on my wedding shoes were an inch and a half at most. I laugh now at just how self-conscience I was about my height.

I’ve grown (ever so slightly) since then. Now I don’t care as much. I was invited to a Frankie Beverly concert about a year ago with a man who really was about 5’6”. I went and wore 4 inch heels. Yes, I dwarfed him but we had fun and I truly didn’t care about the height difference. I did wonder if he cared though.

I’ve come to realize that I have to either wear heels (real heels) or flats (true flats). Trying to do the in-between thing is conspicuous. When you are tall and wear dress shoes with an inch heel you appear to be saying either “I hate being tall” or “I’m out with a midget today and don’t want it to look like it.”

Today I read that Michelle Obama is 5’11”. That’s exciting to me. Other than models and a couple celebrities you don’t really see tall people in the spotlight. Now we have our future First Lady (tall as can be) on magazine covers, all over the news and the TV.

Although I've seen Michelle Obama do the "in-between heel height" thing more than few times (ugh!), her heels seem to be getting higher. If Justin Timberlake brought sexy back, it looks like Michelle Obama is bringing tall back. She is representin’ for us tall women!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That woman is tall. But I dont understand why you were self- conscious of your height. I am 5.3 and I used to be depressed about it. I still wish I was taller even at 28, but if I were to grow taller at this age, I would fear I had a thyroid problem.Anyway she looks elegant and stately beside Obama. And by the way arent the models tall, when did being tall in America become a negative thing. Gosh people are never satisfied. most of the best looking women are tall. anyway thats life